If you find your relationship filled with passive-aggressiveness, apathy, negative energy, criticism, you are more than more likely stuck in a dead-end relationship. And, just as the name suggests, it leads to nowhere but pain and suffering. So, how to end a dead-end relationship and move on with your life and fill it with positive energy? It’s actually easier than you think, you just need to follow these 4 steps.
How to end a dead-end relationship – Get ready for the pain!
Whether we are talking about a great relationship that turned bad or a dead-end relationship without a future, a breakup is always painful. But it’s not the end of the world and you will survive it and get on with your life after a while. However, there are certain steps if you want to come out as a winner and not get stuck with that bad feeling and second thoughts for years to come. Don’t worry, it is completely normal to second guess your breakup and the following questions will come to your mind. But remember what you read after those thoughts and it will get better faster than you thought.
- “Am I making a mistake because I love her/him?!” You may love your ex-partner but does she/he love you the way you deserve? Was that “love” a healthy love? Did your partner really see you for who you really are? Were you really understood?
- “I miss him/her so much…” Sure, you miss your partner but how did you feel when you were together? We don’t mean the good times but the times you felt bad. Was your partner good to you all the time?
- “What will I do if she/he finds someone else and I am completely out of the picture?” Okay, your ex-partner might find someone else who will put up with the behavior you experienced. So what? Do you really want to go through that again?
When you want to get out of a relationship that is bad for you, don’t second guess your determination. If you start re-evaluating your decision, you will most likely avoid the inevitable and keep suffering. But why avoid a step that has to happen sooner or later? Why not start feeling better sooner?
Block all contact
After you take the hard step of breaking up, you MUST block any possible contact. This includes social media, messengers, phone calls, or anything else that might make you second guess your decision and end up in the same dead-end relationship again. Here’s what you shouldn’t do and what you should do afterward:
- Hit the Block button on all possible social media and messengers such as Viber, what’s up, and all other ways you used to communicate electronically before
- Don’t avoid saying hello or good day or morning if you have to cross paths on your way to work or even if you work together but don’t engage in any means of communication other than necessary
- Don’t get hooked to “crisis” luring, your ex is just trying to manipulate you and plays on your good person side
- Do give yourself credit for finding a solution on how to end a dead-end relationship because it isn’t easy, yet you managed it!
Most people that want to end a bad relationship end up staying in it because the other side is manipulative and “shows” remorse and change their bad behavior when they “smell” the end is near. Each time you get manipulated bad into a dead-end relationship you will feel demoralized and even go on a self-destructive path.
You need to stay strong! You know that this relationship is bad for you and that the other side won’t change. Therefore, use a trick that will help you stay focused on the goal. Create and use the “breakup” mantra that will be your guidelight in the “hours of darkness”. For some people, repeating “He (or she) might be good for someone else, but I don’t want that! I don’t need this in my life!”
Remember who you really are
Instead of feeling bad and getting stuck on second-guessing your breakup choice, you need to remember who you are. Feel good about yourself and the fact that you had the courage and strength to end up a toxic relationship and put a toxic person behind you. By just realizing that there was nothing wrong with you and that you should be valued more, you have made a huge step towards getting over this bad period of your life. Now, it’s time to turn your head in the direction of the future and focus on yourself! You’ve definitely earned it!